photo

photo

Friday, July 15, 2011

changes :)

Well.. If you've read the bio thing on the side (which I don't blame you if you haven't. No pressure here) then you read that I am a recent college graduate.  This is true.  I graduated from college in May from an AMAZING Christian school, Lipscomb.  To sum it up, I had a wonderful experience and it was a great time of joy, friendship, laughter, and LOTS of pizza (rolls, bagels and papa johns. please do not ignore this small portion of my college years. I love pizza).

College was amazing, but WOW... the past 2 months (ish) I feel like the rug got absolutely ripped out from under me.  But it wasn't one of those rugs that leaves you laying on the floor crying.  It's kinda been like a realllllly fun roller coaster rug (granted, not all roller coasters are fun... but I'll save that story for another day).

I think I have been looking at this ('this' being adulthood-ish and working a full-time job and living on your own and NOT having classes or HOMEWORK and having an actual, like, budget) time of life as a very exciting phase but kinda thought it was going to be SUPER terrible and overwhelming... but it hasn't been.  It's been exciting... and freeing... and encouraging to see that when people tell you high school or college years are the 'best years of your life'... They are WRONG. They are wrong. If you are reading this and you are in college... they are wrong. It gets better. (and if I think this is awesome... month 2 of being an "adult"... then think about how much better it's going to get!!!)

In the past two months: here are some changes...

1. My best friend moved away

My best friend... Her name is Kristen and she is so beautiful and such a blessing... She moved away. MOVED AWAY :(  Kristen and I met when we first came to college and  God placed us across the hall from one another and bonded us forever.  From music- to boyfriends- to humor- to cheerleading (don't judge)- and most important, the amazing God that we had come to know.  We were destined for each other.  She's such a wonderful and pure woman of God that loves deeply and passionately and you should TOTALLY get to know her.  Over the years of college, she interned at churches as a youth intern and fell in love with the ministry of GOD and was absolutely wonderful with the teens.  I learned so much from her and feel so blessed to be in her life.  All that being said, she moved away.  Got her stuff, and stinkin' moved away WITHOUT me (really trying to forgive and be supportive).  She works in Memphis as a full-time youth minister and loves what she is doing.  I miss her.  Her joy brightens my day and she is one of the few people that can read my thoughts, looks, attitudes, and feelings as soon as I walk into the room.  She has such an amazing family and I often feel like I'm in (her brother and I are also best friends).  But for your bff to move away (especially after living across the hall for 4 years) it's quite the change.


2. My friend/apartment mate/late night theology friend got MARRIED.

Louisa. Louisa Kinzer. Louisa Kinzer Lewis (still weird).  I met Louisa our freshmen year as well (she lived across the hall with Kristen and was QUITE the pistol when I first met her). If you've ever met Louisa, you know how quickly she can steal your heart. Passionate, focused, driven, and so innocent, are just the first of thousands of characteristics that describe this amazing woman of God.  She loves SO humbly (but is the most logically stubborn person I've known) and for all of those things I am so thankful.  Louisa has been the person in my life to always challenge me.  When we were freshmen (we always go on a beach trip every summer) at the beach, the first night she and I laid on the beach and talked about how sometimes we had doubted God being real, but how when you look at the overwhelming sky and ocean and creation.. how can you not believe His kingdom reigns?  2 years later, we sat at the beach and talked about her love for Drew (then, her boyfriend. now, her husband) and how God was using him to lead her. Now another year later, on another beach trip, we got to talk about faith and life and doubt and struggle and love and peace and how our lives have changed over the past few years.  She's an amazing woman and she got MARRIED. she's the first one of our group of friends to get married. It was kind of a big deal. One down, more to go. (Kaitlynn is next!!! June 23 of next year!)


3. I moved out of an apartment (with 7 roommates) after 2 years.


Sooo yeah. For two years I lived with 8 people, in a four bedroom apartment, with one living room and no dishwasher.  Sound terrible? No way. it was AWESOME. We had some of the best memories there and I will never be able to go into that place without feeling the joy and laughter that came out of it.  And... when you live somewhere for that long (I know it doesn't seem long, but from 20-22 it seems REALLY long and really full) it's kind of a big deal when you move out, and your best friend moves away, and your other friend gets married... all in a 1 month span.


4. I got a full-time job

I know that this one should be maybe the biggest change... but meh. It's not.  I started working when I started my senior year of college in the job that I am currently in.  I work in Campus Ministry and am the Chapel coordinator Lipscomb.  The summer before my senior year of college I was offered an amazing position that would end up shaping and forming me more than I could have ever imagined.  I worked part-time as Chapel coordinator, while finishing my degree full-time. It was quite the adventurous and extremely difficult year... but... in the midst of some cuh-razy floundering moments, I accepted the job full-time and counted down the days until I was only focused on it.  This summer (all 60 days so far) at work has been SUCH a breath of fresh air. We get to start over and look at what we want this ministry to look like. And we get to brainstorm on how we can love students and solely focus on telling them about Jesus.  I literally learn so much everyday (sometimes too much too fast and my head wants to blow up) and it's SUCH a blessing. I work with some amazing people (more to come on that)... but... getting up at 7ish everyday and actually being tired at 9:30pm is quite the change. Something called responsibility kinda has had to set-in. Whatever.

It's been quite the journey even after 2 months but I can't wait to see what more God blesses my life with.

"We know that in ALL things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

  1. You are out-of-this-world fabulous and all of the amazing things you are doing make me smile. Something else that makes me smile? Seeing our blog on your favorites list!! So Much Love - Ashley

    ReplyDelete