photo

photo

Thursday, July 21, 2011

garbage in, garbage out.

I think I may be the most susceptible (had to look that spelling up) person I know.

I don't say that pridefully, like it's cool to be the "most something-ist" person someone knows. It's embarrassing, frustrating, and borderline annoying to all involved.

Ex. 1:  When I was a junior in college, our entire apartment (8 girls) thought it would be a good idea to go consecutively through seasons of Grey's anatomy (which granted, I still watch occasionally but not in excess. ever)... halfway through season one, we all individually thought that we were depressed.  No one talked to each other really, we didn't play as much and no one was pouring into one another.  We were ALL sad and mopey and DRA-MAT-IC (at least I was.. maybe not everyone).  We quickly realized what the problem was and nipped it in the bud FAST, but still. It's hard to watch something that doesn't FILL you up.

Ex. 2:  I can't watch "How I Met Your Mother." I know it sounds stupid. It's a HILARIOUS show that I watched on a 10 hour drive to Snowshoe (best trip ever), WV.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad show. It is SO funny and entertaining.  But I can't watch shows that talk about sex and alcohol.  Makes me cuss more and constantly make crude jokes.

Ex. 3: Twilight.  Oops.  Yes, I got addicted a couple of years ago. I didn't understand why no one loved me as much as Edward loved Bella.  And isn't everyone a little scared after dark and dream about vampires?  Didn't everyone wish that they could jump from here to Ohio without getting tired? ... ummm no!  My life was fine. I shouldn't be scared of the dark.  And VAMPIRES AREN'T REAL.  Hard to remember that it's fake when that was all I was filling my mind with.

I can name 672 examples of my past when what I was reading/watching/listening to affected my life/thoughts/mood/and actions more than anything else.

Great thing is, it doesn't have to be garbage.  I'm reading 2 Corinthians now.  Funny how much more love and innocence comes out of Spirit filled words.  I also love reading the Chronicles of Narnia because it's fiction that doesn't make me have nightmares!  I love all of the symbolism and the joy it brings me when thinking about meeting Our God and about His beautiful creation.  CS Lewis wrote so beautifully!  Much better to fall asleep thinking about Aslan, than about McDreamy.

"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this post, Keela. I think you're exactly right. I've had the same problem in the past and just now (reading your post) what exactly it was!!! I can tell God is filling you up, and I'm so thankful it spilled over to highlight a few things for me that need to change in my life.

    Cari Powell

    ReplyDelete